Wednesday 7 April 2010

Where have I bean?

Wow, 2 weeks away from the Vuum. The longest since I arrived here. And what a couple of weeks it was; 8 days in the UK catching up with family and friends and testing my liver's tolerance to it's limits and then 6 days holiday back in SA exploring the delights of the Drakensberg mountains and discovering just how clever baboons can be (locked chalet windows forced open. Twice).
I'd had some worries about the trip home, whether it would 'freak me out' and unbalance me but I was pleasantly surprised to discover that after 28 years of living in cities, 8 months away had not caused me to forget what a bus looks like, nor a street full of people. I'm ashamed to say I also discovered that I really do love mass-produced coffee, served in over-sized paper cups.

Another positive aspect is that talking to people about my experiences here has reinvigorated me for my remaining few months in Ingwavuma, reminding me why I came and what I hoped to get out of it.
And amazingly that feeling has even lasted through Monday's on call with it's 2 c-sections and 4 hours broken sleep.

2 comments:

  1. good to have you back blogging again after the trip home. gutted i missed the reunion but its nice to have somehting to read again while i procrastinate at uni :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you move back to London can you do a London blog for everyone also?

    Han xxx

    ReplyDelete