Thursday 29 April 2010

The ultimate post-code lottery.

Another Thursday, another on call (but I don't complain too much as it gives me a long weekend). Nothing too drastic so far but I have just been to confirm a death on the Isolation ward. A 33 year old woman I admitted on Monday night. I noted that she looked very sick, likely TB, and admitted her for iv antibiotics and TB work-up. I see tonight from the notes that she deteriorated over the next few days, becoming confused. I was then called this evening to confirm her death.
The thing that gets me is that she was HIV negative. In a different setting, her level of care would have been escalated to a much greater level, and her chances of survival would have been good.
We see a lot of young people die here; barely a week goes by when I don't write a death certificate for someone my age or younger. But generally these are HIV related. Tonight's death reminded me of just how much disparity there is in healthcare in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment