Wednesday 21 April 2010

Best of 3?

So the rest of the GP-led weekend was a little more challenging; our first c-section on Sunday morning and a black mamba bite that afternoon.
Deyo woke me at 7 to say there was a section. We rock, paper, scissored and I got to cut. All went smoothly until it came to actually getting the baby out when I discovered that it was making a valiant bid for freedom the more usual route. Some pushing from Deyo and pulling from me and we persuaded him to trust us that there really wasn't space that way; a real team effort.
Later that afternoon I was called to a snake bite. A black mamba. From my previous experiences I've learnt that the antivenom (and it's 1:4 chance of anaphylaxsis) only has to be given in certain situations but black mamba bites are one of them. So yet again, team GP bravely stepped up;

C: It's been a while since I've done this
D: I've never done this
C: Oh. Fingers crossed then.

Fortunately luck was yet again on my side (3 out of 3) and the patient didn't react.

So Deyo and I not only survived our first weekend on call together but actually faced my two fears of things we wouldn't cope well with.
As future poly-clinic workers, I think Darzi would be proud.

2 comments:

  1. Bloody Hell C, yet again whilst updating myself on your demeanors/misdemeanors (i'm revising, what can you do?), i'm astounded at what you, Deyo and the others do out there - you really are doing a pretty awe-inspiring job. On a lighter note, Black Mamba eh? Was it not one of them that tried to bite Roald Dahl?! Coooool. Loads of love, Ro xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey C - well done
    I'll let AD know that the Scott Polyclinic will basically be delivering complex toxicology and maternity services.....
    It'll be useful tool in the box what with the closing of all the other hospitals
    xx

    ReplyDelete