Saturday 5 September 2009

What it's like when you have a baby?

36 hours in to my first weekend on call. I've had a grand total of 2 hours sleep overnight (when I was first on) and 4 after getting home this morning (I'm second on today). Called back in to do a c-section, interrupted by calls from the Paeds ward for a child who is fitting and the OPD for a snake bite. Offered to stay and help the first on but she assures me that I need to rest today as I'm first on again tomorrow (and may get woken through the night). I'm fairly certain that this is a form of torture used in interrogation, and I can see why. If there was anything they wanted to know now I'd tell them. Although I seem to be struggling to recall any helpful medical knowledge right now.

5 comments:

  1. It's 10 times worse and then some....... Ed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Caroline, I hope by the time you read this you've recovered a little! Sounds like you're definitely having an experience out there and doing an amazing job too.

    Take care,
    James. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey love, wow, sounds intense! Reckon you'll see more there in a year than you'd see here in 10. Hope you're enjoying it, sounds amazing. There's a SA doc at QMC at the mo and he's on about setting up an exchange for anaesthetists, reckon I'd be interested in that. All is well here, just plodding along. Keep writing, it's very interesting!! Love Sarah xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just had a read through your blog, sounds like you are having an amazing if intense time ... keep us all posted. Han and bump good x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Caroline
    Sounds like you're having a crazy time - I really don't know how you do it! Definitely more stressful by a million times than baby-having. I'm due on Thu but no sign yet... Good luck with everything, sounds like a legendary effort all round
    Laura and Daisy :o) xx

    ReplyDelete