Wednesday 16 September 2009

Shiver me timbers, I'm 28!

You'd have thought that I'd have learnt from Oz that expecting very little from your birthday inevitably leads to an excellent day, but no, I was yet again preparing myself for a miserable day, far from home (small violins at the ready). In reality it was a great day from start (discovering a birthday present in my pigeon hole at quarter to twelve on the 14th- thanks mum and the SA postal service, a mere 11 days!) to finish (10.30pm drunkenly putting myself to bed).
Was a little unsure about the fun of being on call on the night before your birthday but I lucked out with 4 hours straight sleep, and the trade off was having the afternoon off on my birthday. Headed to Fancy Stitch Tea Garden (oh yes, Ingwavuma has an eating out option; although I believe we are pretty much the only people to ever go there) for a long birthday lunch in the sun with various doctors, therapists, teachers and others.

I'm fast learning that no SA celebration is complete without a braii and my birthday was no exception; a "Pirates and Princesses" fancy-dress one. Cue plentiful homemade costumes (I take full responsibility for any world shortage of tin foil), some illegally smuggled in wine (as we live on hospital property we are not supposed to have alcohol and we get searched coming in. However, security happily come to our parties and merrily drink any that we have got in. So South African.) and copious well-done meat. Oh and my present from Deyo; an array of beautiful little cupcakes (one of which I secreted in a cupboard to ensure that I did get one, then forgot and discovered it to my surprise and delight today. Yummy!).

Sadly the other thing that I discovered today is that too much buccaneering the night before is not conducive to a pleasant day in OPD. Unlike myself, hangovers do not improve with age!

3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday!!!!

    Do you find that you don't get any vegetables in a braai? All the ones I experienced were just meat and that was it...

    Octavia xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! (A few days late) Hope you got my e-mail. Lx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Late as always...but very happy birthday!!! Hope yr getting all out little comments here on your blog. still miss you and love reading it!!
    Just finished my first week in theatre and loved it...even managed to assist in a 'removal of foreign object from rectum' case...lol
    H x

    ReplyDelete