Thursday 24 September 2009

One in the eye.

Well, I managed 29 safe days in Ingwa but today I had my first blood exposure incident.
Not, as I had expected, a needle stick injury (yesterday I was doing LPs on HIV positive patients with the electricity flickering on and off), but actually blood in my eye. Nice.
Half-way through a c-section (baby was out and I was attempting to rejoin the two halves of the uterus) I managed to flick blood under my eye shield (why out here are the shields attached by elastic around the forehead leaving them loose over the end nearer the patient??) and in to my left eye.
Following the "rinse it" procedure I promptly welled up, with added lip trembling and voice shakiness, and told the anaesthetist. I guess the plus side of being here is that he could then scrub in so that I could go and properly rinse my eye (and the other one for good measure). Unluckily we have a 25-35% HIV rate amongst our pregnant patients (the group we routinely test).
Rapidly checked her notes and then some internal debate went on; she was last tested 6 weeks ago and was negative (phew!), I wear contacts, surely women who are 8 months pregnant don't do a lot of sleeping around (help me out here placenta head girls?), it's actually quite difficult to get HIV in this manner and PEP (post-exposure prophylaxsis) makes you feel incredibly nauseous and generally rubbish. So I'm not taking it. This time.
What a great start to my week of annual leave; heading off on a game park/beach trip to think about what I have done.

1 comment:

  1. Hey hun, I know how you feel - remember my stick and the patient DID come back positive? Well anyway, I'm sure it's okay. And sex at 8 months pregnant is tricky! B x

    ReplyDelete