Wednesday 9 September 2009

Bloody 'L'.

Today's scary thing wasn't medical. It was a driving test. Not something I was expecting 10 years after first passing my test, nor when I am currently in possession of not only a full, clean British license, but also an international one (available from the AA for only £7.99 and the cost of a photo but that's not the point). But apparently, that's not enough for Mosvold hospital Transport Department.
Let me explain why they care. Twice a week the hospital runs clinics in outlying areas (one so far away that we used to go by plane but sadly they cut the plane a couple of months ago. Something to do with costs I think. Now we just drive there). Access to these areas is pretty bad so they don't send us off alone in cars. They send us off alone in 4x4s. We can also borrow the hospital vehicles for approved trips out, like our HIV course in Durban next weekend. But to be allowed to drive these government vehicles, you have to be ok'd by the afore-mentioned Transport Department. Hence the driving test.
We'd already gone through the bureaucracy of having to get certified photocopies of our passports and licenses. No, showing them the real thing and allowing them to copy it wasn't enough. Instead we had to take them to a local public notary (oh yes, notaries, I've come across these before...) who didn't look at the originals before stamping the copies as accurate. Then today's test.
Was feeling a bit nervous; would the bad habits that I'd picked up over the years count against me? Walked over to the normal car (yes, I know that the test is for whether we can drive 4x4s but this is SA, why would they test us on that?). Got in, carefully adjusted the seat and mirrors, checked the mirrors (in the very obvious way that you're supposed to), slowly reversed out, checked the mirrors, then horror of horrors, crossed hands on steering wheel. Damn. Carried on, out the hospital down the mountain. Would I be penalised more for driving on the wrong side of the road or for going through the tyre-busting pot holes? And what about avoiding goats, pigs and dogs? I know in the Uk you're supposed to keep going straight at them but I don't think the South African livestock are aware of this rule. Longest driving test ever although admittedly we did only go straight down the one road for half an hour, turn around and come back. No emergency stops, 3-point turns or reverse parking in sight.
And I passed! The only comment I got was that there was really no need for me to slow down as we approached the group of children walking on the road (there being no pavements) because "they'll get out the way".
So now the outlying clinics await.

No comments:

Post a Comment