Thursday 20 August 2009

Whatever happened to see one?

Wow, the first week is almost over. Not soon enough. We are exhausted in the way that new jobs always are, but a million times more once you throw in the moving country, foreign language and lack of your normal back up support network.
Yesterday was my second day in theatre. Quite an experience. There are always 2 doctors on for theatre (one to do the anaesthetic and one to do the surgery!) and I was in with the boss which I thought would be good for experience but turned out not to be as he really is a believer in sink or swim. And despite my total inexperience, he was keen for me to 'give it a go' on the caesarian front ("just do whatever you think"). But now I've done two c-sections almost unaided. Could have been a third today but I drew the line at my first breech c-section also being my first twin section and my first vertical scar. So I assisted one of the other juniors. And now I've seen one...
It's just so different to home. I think I'm almost going to have to stop comparing. With the twins today, we had only two junior doctors and a med student in theatre for what at home would have required at least 5 doctors (2 O&G, 2 Paeds and an anaesthetist), 3 of whom would have been more senior than anyone we had today. And normally we'd only be two doctors; one to operate and one to do the anaesthetic and resuscitate the babies. Luckily everyone was ok (patients and doctors!!).
I then spent today in OPD which would be the equivalent of A&E/ the local GP, and is our main work. Saw a total range of things from someone needing physio after a hip fracture to a abdominal gunshot wound. Finding it so hard to figure out not only what to do with things I'm inexperienced in but also what to do here with things I would know what to do with at home.

Anyway, one more day and then it's the weekend and there's talk of a trip to Mozambique. I think both Deyo and I are feeling the need to get out of the hospital and remind ourselves of the positive things about coming to SA. Mozambique is definitly one of those!

6 comments:

  1. Hang in there - like I said earlier - you're the best they have, the expert, so trust your intellect and training, both of which are good, and Keep Going!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only sympathise with the Clayton road comment but we even managed to make that place home, and I'm sure you'll do the same with our photo's plastered all over your walls (if you forgot to take them just let me know and I'll send you some out!).
    All sounds pretty scary but you sound like you're doing a fab job so hang in there. We miss you.
    Sarah and Si xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing that a hot shower and a cup of tea can't fix...oh yeah...

    Miss you will try skyping one evening next week. Let me know your shifts.

    Han Q

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey - great blog - all sounds a bit scary but hope you enjoy the weekend - trips to mozambique sound well worth the stress!
    Jen xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read your blog out to Isaac and he made a very loud squalk! You may feel inexperienced now, but you're going to come back and your experience will kick everyone elses asses! Keep blogging, we love it. Beth xxx (and Isaac xxxxx)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG i want to join you! you'll be doing more cutting out there than i get as an actual O+G trainee here!

    Great blog, keep it going - you'll love reading it back

    Good luck with it all darl,

    Kate (fraser)

    ReplyDelete