Friday 14 August 2009

The penultimate day.

So it's the day before I fly.

My whole life for the next year is next door, packed into two bags (plus some maxing of hand luggage).
In just 48 hours I'll be landing in Durban, picking up my "bag of books and doctor's coat" and driving 4 hours to my new home. And I'll be starting work just 12 hours later.

Still doesn't really feel real. Not sure quite when it will.

Have been giving it the "I'm going to keep a blog" chat for some time now but finally pulling it together for the purposes of giving me something to do with myself, giving me something to look back on and letting my mum know that I am alive. It's also the alternative to those awful send-all e-mails.

So here it is, read as you wish.

Some links for you:

You really can find out about anything on wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingwavuma,_KwaZulu-Natal

Possibly a little stalker-ish but this is the link to some med student's elective photos of Mosvold Hospital. I'm thinking my through-my-phone e-mail connection may not allow fantastic photo uploadage so these are an alternative. And she has put them on the web...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ldeng/sets/72157617937217304/

5 comments:

  1. So stoked you decided to keep a blog!! When you arrive in Durbs - give a 'big up' to my city of birth and I hope it treats you well.

    Please keep your wits about you and take your common sense with you wherever you go - believe me it's the best thing to take to SA.

    Other than that I hope you get to see some of the most impressive sights and meet the most wonderful people in the world.

    Please treat my country well - they deserve it. (and I do mean treat in the medical sense)

    Will be back to read up on your adventures regularly!
    N.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Caroline, good luck!! Im sure you will have an amazing time- please look after yourself! Im really looking forward to reading your blog.

    Simon
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scotty I am so impressed. Looks incredibly hard core. The spirit of adventure lives on! Hope you have an amazing time. Ingwavuma is lucky to get you. Be safe!
    Love Sinéad Feeney x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey C

    Loving the blog - look forward to reading many witty entries.

    Hope you're settling in fine, and impressing them with some impromptu surgery perhaps!

    Love O x

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a bit stalker-ish. Still, I guess she can stalk you back. Hope the first day is going well and theres something more exciting than beans on toast for dinner tonight. J x

    p.s. Don't know how Nadia and Olly have managed to get just their names to come out... may need to seek technical back up from Mikes.

    ReplyDelete