Sunday 30 August 2009

Doesn't matter if you're black or white? Alegedly so.

Another weekend, another trip away. As I am working next weekend, we thought we'd make the most of this one. And we needed to get to a bank as without accounts, we aren't going to get paid. So, a trip to Jozini, the nearest town. An interesting experience for both Deyo and I. Finding myself the only white in the town, and the attention that attracted was a strange experience. It wasn't in any way a threatening one, just a feeling of being different and people noticing that. Deyo's take on it in comparrison to her own experiences as a black person in Edinburgh made for interesting discussion.
We then headed a couple of hours on to Sodwana Bay which is a holiday resort in the area, popular with Jo'burgers and their 4x4s. It's just down the coast from the beach we went to last weekend, but nowhere near as beautiful, with the beach torn up by vehicles. And funnily enough, there too we had an interesting experience. All the guests were white. And all the staff black. And I felt more uncomfortable with that than I had at any point in Jozini.
We both agreed that we have much to learn about people's attitudes in South Africa, but the voluntary segregation that we are already seeing is disturbing.
On a less thoughtful note, we joined up with a group from the hospital for body boarding and the obligatory braii. And we're now back at Mosvold preparing for another week and our first on calls.

5 comments:

  1. My god, Caroline you could turn this into a book. Amazing stuff. Keep it coming. Fxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree. I'm speaking to a publisher... (obviously with my commission factored in) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just been catching up on all of your adventures since arriving in SA. Sounds both fantastic and terrifying! Sitting in a wet and windy North London flat, Toby is very jealous, and I am full of admiration. The blog is cracking - we will be geeking out regularly. Lots of love from both of us and Henry xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Caroline
    Your blog is great - scary biscuits indeed. I am in awe of your guts! Look forward to hearing more. Glad you get a little bit of time for fun in addition to all the good work you are doing. Hope your 1st on call gos ok.
    Love Nic xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you don't mind but Hannah Q has popped me onto your blog and it has interested me so i stayed...
    All looks a bit hair-raising! and quite mind boggling!
    If you require anything my in-laws are heading out to Mpumulanga (Ermelo) for some time in October so just yell - and otherwise we have other people in Jozi that we can get hold of if needed!
    Take care of yourselves
    Emma

    ReplyDelete