Tuesday 9 February 2010

A gruff story.

Another day, another maiming at my hands. This time on the road. Driving back from clinic, I watched 3 goats amble across the main road at a comfortable distance from me. Then as I approached, a fourth straggler jumped out. Our eyes locked. I swerved but sadly so did she, jumping under my wheels. I braked hard and jumped out as a bleating, bleeding goat limped it's way under a nearby bush. I felt awful and also a tad worried I didn't have enough money on me to pay off a goat owner (the going rate is about £50 a goat).
The social worker who had ridden along with me also jumped out and began shouting in Zulu at anyone standing near. No owner could be found although a lady who thought she knew who the owner was promised to find them and sort the matter out.
The social worker then explained to me that I was wrong about the pay off; the guilt is actually on the part of the owner at allowing their animal to roam around and that often they won't admit to the animal being theirs in case there has been damage to the vehicle. So whether the lady was in fact the owner, or just saw the potential for a good meal tonight I'm not sure.
Either way I feel terrible that I have damaged the goat of someone who can potentially ill afford it, and then not paid some form of compensation or at least apologised. As for the goat, I just hope that someone put the poor creature out of it's misery.

No comments:

Post a Comment