Sunday 28 February 2010

Don't feed the animals.

A weekend free and 'the best white water rafting in Southern Africa' right on our doorstep in Swaziland; a roadtrip was in order. 6 of us piled in to a car and set off at 6am on Saturday morning, speeding through the border and to our meeting point in time to grab a coffee (and a £6 fine for 'overloading'; cheaper than the petrol on a second car). There we divided up in to 2-man croc crafts and were pushed out on to the river. We started with a practice capsize, during which my jelly shoes abandoned me to swim with the fishes and then spent the day making our way 16km downriver over rapids graded from 2-4. To add to the fun of falling out, the river does have crocodiles which lurk in the calmer sections. Although we only saw a baby one, it was enough encouragement to swiftly scramble back in.
I'd love to claim to have pulled it off like a pro but at the final rapids came close to drowning after being tipped out and hitting my helmeted head on a rock. Thankfully the guide manhandled me out of the water and I coughed the contents of my lungs in to the bottom of his boat. Not my most graceful moment.
We then spent the night on a game reserve and breakfast fending off an ostrich and some wart hogs who couldn't read the 'don't feed the animals' sign before driving back via our local (about an hour and a half's drive) hotel with it's much needed masseuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment