Monday 2 November 2009

High and dry.

We have now been without running water at the hospital for 48 hours, which means no x-rays, limited lab facilities and slightly stinky doctors as we pretty much all live on site.
I'm lucky as there is a rain-water jojo sitting literally outside my door, collecting water from my roof, so getting water isn't too difficult (although collecting and heating enough to wash in is quite time consuming) and we've had quite a bit of rain so far this year so it's fairly full.
I think however, the experience is giving me a good idea of how tricky life must be for a lot of the patients who are permanaently in this position, or worse with no jojo (at about £300 they are quite an investment for most people). One of the doctors was telling me that last year when the rains were late, local people were going down to the river bed at night time and digging holes to collect water. They would use about 6 litres in a day for all their needs; cooking, drinking and washing. Both in the UK and here, I take for granted just turning a tap on for water but when it involves a bit more effort, I can see how careful you would have to be about it's use. Let's hope I can hold on to some of this awareness once they fix the pump.

No comments:

Post a Comment